Pain as a normal response to injury
- When we are injured at the site of pain there is often:
- Local pain, swelling, redness & bruising and inflammation
- The International Association for the Study of Pain defines it as:
- An unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage or described in terms of such damage.
- This means it is unique to each individual, depending on a number of factors, including what the pain means to them, their experiences, both before & after their injury, and the factors surrounding their treatment and ongoing activities.