Emotions & Pain
- Fear is a very big negative motivator in increasing pain. It is a good idea to make a personal list of coping statements that will enable you to reduce your fear by relaxing your muscles and consequently your pain.
Being angry is a natural by-product of having chronic pain.
- Anger also stimulates increased activity in the pain pathways
- Negative thoughts can increase pain & anxiety
The Gate Theory
- The pain gate theory was discovered in 1965 by Dr’s Melzack & Walls, it works on the theory that nerve gates in the spinal cord, open to allow pain through or close to block it’s passage.
- Tens machines, acupuncture,
deep muscle massage &
many alternative treatments
may be able to block the